Saturday, September 5, 2009

Seamstress today.Mom yesterday

Today I am a Seamstress because of my Mom being such a good garment maker when I was a young girl in Cape Breton. As 'Dolly Parton said in her song"With all the Love she sewed in every stitch" (plse click the song below and listen to this song which express her love for us) My father was a Sydney Mines Coalminer and she made all the clothes for us 8 kids which was live in our youth.
.
I remember those clothes that were made from the old Robin Hood Flour Bags. The old large tub on the back of the wood stove with the water boiling and the bleach smell through out the kitchen; as we got enough bags to prepare for cloth. This white bags (100 pound size) then cutted into patterns for the planned clothing. We all went to school in unique clothes made by Mom. My four brothers wore short pants and I remember they that they were older they got their first pair of pants. (I don t remember if Mom made them much of their clothes) Of course, all left home at 14 or 15 and when sailing as was the Cape Breton Traditional.
My three sister and I, wore only the well made clothes of Mom's, and when we were older the older sisters got the Budget clothes and we got them as hand-me-downs. Of course or church bonnets were bought on a budget at Eatons in Sydney and we each had our own. (Not bought on charge.. as we say today.. but bought on a budget)
"Don t Bend over. you might see Robin Hood" was a serious Joke. because even the petticoats and panties were made from these bleached bags. Every one of us girls had a dress like the Dolly Parton song "Coat of many Colors" (it was so true when you father worked the cold mines and eight children to feed). My mother made different color patches on each of our dresses so we could know which dress was which.

1 comment:

  1. very nice and very well put together ...loved it and I miss ma terrible ..:o((..love you aunt betty...hey you to John ...lol

    ReplyDelete